Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm a simple Scottish girl with an unusual name and a strange obsession for nail polish! My aim is to capture what the eye sees, with a camera! Too much nail polish and never enough time. I have also started wildlife photography, which I enjoy very much. Welcome to my little world :-)

Wednesday 31 August 2022

A Symbiotic Relationship

 


This photo is from 31st May 2021 and was shot with my HUAWEI P20 Pro.

This is a Sexton Beetle (or Burying Beetle) with little orange mites on it. Basically the mites hitch-hike on the beetle to their next food source and cause the beetle no harm. Interestingly the mites eat eggs and young maggots which means the Beetle larve are more likely to survive too. So all in all a pretty good deal for both parties!

I was happy with my walk today...10 miles (16km). I didn't feel any pain and glad my legs are still good for it! It was a decent day not too hot and no rain!

24 comments:

  1. So tiny are these mites that I did not notice them initially. Very nice capture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was the same when I saw the beetle. Isn't it amazing :-D

      Delete
  2. Such a cool photo. WOW, 10 miles, that's some walk, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me alegra que estés mejor. Genial foto. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Darling! I am happy you can walk and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting ❤️🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness! You walked such a long way! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't notice the mites until you mentioned them and I took a closer look. I think this would be called mutualism (where both partners benefit in the symbiotic relationship).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hard to spot at first! Yes that's the one, I know there are a few types. Thanks for visiting :-D

      Delete
  8. That's a nice walk! And how cool that they help each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I know pretty amazing! Thanks :-D

      Delete
  9. Fico impressionado com as fotos de insetos maravilhosos.

    ReplyDelete